Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Haunted House Day

Yesterday was one of the first true days of fall. For some reason the crisp, cool air always puts me in the mood for a good haunted house story. So, I watched three old favorites in a row: The Legend of Hell House (1973), The Haunting (1963), and The Haunting of Julia (1977). Clove candles burned as the movies played and autumn air blew in through the open windows. It was a good day.


The Legend of Hell House (Awesome screencaps by a75.)

The Haunting

The Haunting of Julia



If you happen to come across this blog and know of any really good haunted house or ghost movies, please let me know. Thanks. :)


*

7 comments:

Johnny said...

The Uninvited (1944)!
The atmosphere created in the movie is so brilliantly unsettling. It is a favorite of ours. It is, unfortunately, nearly impossible to find. Hoping a dvd comes out soon. However TCM usually plays it sometime in October.

Also a favorite of mine is The Changling. Very sad though.

bean said...

Cool - thanks! I'll have to stir the pots where I get my hard-to-find stuff.

adrien said...

The Innocents is my favorite haunted house movie. It's a must see.

Btw - flickr has a "blog this" function, so you can add my screencaps to your blog and link back to where you got it from. Just an idea ;)

bean said...

Adrien - I'm sorry I didn't credit you. I love that you had that collection!

Rot said...

These are GREAT screen caps.
Three amazing and brilliant films that are rarely mentioned on top ten lists of recommended horror films.

Guess that makes them more mysterious, and puts us ahead of the curve. : )

Unknown said...

Not a haunted house movie exactly, but The Devil's Backbone is certainly one of the great atmospheric ghost stories, and must see.

AllHallowSteve said...

I know it's a newer film, but it's one I return to over and over: The Others with Nicole Kidman.

Really atmospheric and well acted.

Enjoy!
AllHallowSteve
halloweenaddict.com