Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Two In A Row? Impossible! (But True.)

Watched two pretty good horrors this weekend: P2 & Rogue.

Rogue is from the same director as Wolf Creek and did not get a US theater release (as far as I know). It's a shame because it was well written and well made, and well worth your time. It did have its problems - I felt it needed 15 to 20 more minutes of meat in it, particularly about an hour in. There were a few things neglected that I feel could have enhanced what was already some wonderful and endearing character development. But all in all, I recommend it. And since it is a movie about a humongous crocodile and it is a horror movie, I don't think it's a spoiler to say that the first human kill is wonderfully clever & chilling.



P2 - I should start by saying I love horror movies that take place all in one setting - the whole "trapped" thing. And P2, well, I loved it. I wasn't expecting much...just your run-of-the-mill woman trapped and being hunted. But what set it apart from that bland clump of movies was how wonderfully intelligent the damsel in distress was. At no time did I think, "Now why the FUCK did she do that?" or "No, no, don't do that! Do this!" She made the right decision every time. And the chemistry between her and Tom, the antagonist, was dead on. Tom was a frightening force. When he decides to "punish" a man for an indiscretion with our heroine...well, it's pretty realistic, pretty intense, and gets you right in the guts. When I watch horrors I am generally doing something else at the same time - crocheting, sculpting, or painting - but for this one I was completely absorbed and at attention. The writing was tight & intelligent, the performances were fantastic and the pace was exactly what it needed to be. If you want a tense, fun ride, P2 is for you. (I should also add that I read no reviews of this and have no idea how the horror community felt about it. For all I know I may be the only one who dug it...or not.)

*I forgot to mention that P2 is made by the same bad asses who did High Tension and The Hills Have Eyes remake.



Since I haven't read any reviews of either of these films (I didn't want them to affect my viewing, or what I had to say about them) I am now free to do so and can finally read the piece about Rogue in the latest Rue Morgue Magazine.

Speaking of Rue Morgue, be on the look out in the October issue for an advertisement for mine & Pumpknrot's Etsy shop, Pumpkin Hollow!


*

2 comments:

Grim said...

I had been wondering about P2. I'll have to get that one now. That's cool that you will have an ad in Rue Morgue, I'll have to save that issue for sure. Well... I save all of them, but that one will be extra special. Congratulations on that!

where's Donnie? said...

I will have to check out P2. I love Alex Aja. I think High Tension is one of my favs. I will have to get Rue Morgue...kudos to you and pumpkinrot for being in that!!!!!!!! I subscribe to fangoria, but ocassionally get Rue to. I will pick that up. I also have broken my wife down (no pun intended) and think she may let me get a groundbreaker from pumkinrot for my early (Halloween) birthday present. I will be checking the Esty shop soon to see if it's for sale.