Friday, February 19, 2010

I Can't Stop Watching. I Can't Stop Remembering.

I love the opening titles of True Blood. The images coupled with the song have a mesmerizing effect, and I find myself singing the lyrics quietly to myself during the day. It has to do with being from the South; so many familiar images - some nostalgic, some unnerving, but all a part of my upbringing. I've seen those delapidated houses, those women, those kids, those congregations, those bars. It makes my heart ache in a particular way as I sit up here in the North... like a vital piece of me has gone missing. I try to find it in music, images, movies, but I know them all to be temporary fixes.

I'm a Southern girl who belongs in the South and no other remedy will do. I know it will happen in time, til then it's gotta be things like these...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's so strange, the magnetism of the past and the familiar. All those strong associations that well up at the most unexpected times. How the relationship with a place can endure even the conscious choice to try and leave it behind both physically and mentally. As much as I complain about my home, a part of me doubts I could ever really be happy anywhere else. Despite my restlessness and wanderlust, there's no doubting that I am a New Englander. I'd miss so many things and people. Maybe more than I could handle for very long.

Maybe we'll see.

Of course, I'm also sitting here wondering how it could ever be possible to miss thick traffic, cold indifference and dirty snowbanks. That's a funny thought.

The Artful Gypsy aka Wendy the Very Good Witch said...

Hi...nice to meet you! I had to comment on this post because I am from the south too...but I'm still here...in Florida! My children are 4th generation Florida Crackers which is a rarity in this state. And like you...I've seen all those people, places and things in that title sequence too. I haven't seen true blood or that trailer until just now but it had a strange effect on my psyche. However, I'm a girl who feel a very strong connection to New England for some reason and if I could survive the cold harsh winters there, I would try my best to figure a way to move up there. We go up every Autumn so I can get my fix but I think I'm forever stuck in the South. Thanks for the post...