Thursday, July 10, 2008

Plants & Blood & A Barber, Oh My!

I finally got to watch a good horror movie on Tuesday - The Ruins. I gotta say, it was pretty damn fantastic...original idea (from the novel of the same name by Scott Smith), talented cast, and a very promising up and coming director - Carter Smith. I saw his short Bug Crush awhile ago and was extremely impressed. It's good to see a new horror director get a good gig. Hopefully he'll go on to do more...a glimmer of hope in the dark tide of tired horror remakes.



Other flicks:

Baby Blood, 1990 - Oh those wacky French! A woman becomes impregnated by a being that only wants human blood, hence a splatterfest ensues. It's your standard 90's horror fare...meaning mediocre at best.

The Barber, 2001 - Malcolm McDowell stars as a barber living in Alaska who may or may not be a killer. Interesting concept (I'm always seduced by the idea of stories set in remote, cold places), but utimately it doesn't live up to its potential. Still, it wasn't that bad and if you like McDowell it's an okay way to kill some time.

*

2 comments:

Rot said...

Couldn't agree more on THE RUINS.
It wasn't at all what I was expecting - and that's a GREAT thing to have happen these days in a horror film.

(didn't see the other two) : )

Jon Glassett said...

I rented The Ruins last night on your recommendation and absolutely loved it.

Any movie that's scary in broad daylight it alright by me.