Thursday, January 22, 2009

Ode To Haunted Houses

I love haunted house stories. They are my all time favorite of the horror genre, in literature and in film. The dark wood, the creaking stairs, the dust, the stale air of the attic, the long hallways....pure heaven to me. The quiet, subtle moments are what I love most. The idea that a house is a living being with feelings and intentions is one that is ever intriguing, as well as the notion that a house can replay and echo the horrors that happen within them over and over. In a haunted house time stops, and the connection (and safety) to the outside world is lost. For some reason I find that comforting. Perhaps it's the timelessness of it, or because the rules of the world no longer apply, or because it is a final destination and there is no more work to be done. I don't know.

There are many haunted houses that I revisit often: The Shining (novel & film), The Haunting (the 1963 film), The Legend Of Hell House (novel & film), The Haunting of Hill House (novel by Shirley Jackson), The Haunting of Julia (novel & film), and others that I will remember after I publish this post.

I've a new one to add to the list - a short story that appeared in Weird Tales Magazine. It's "Renovations" by Matthew Pridham. You can read the story here.

Screencap from The Legend Of Hell House.


*

1 comment:

crudedoodle.com said...

this has inspired me to create some ghost/haunting-themed artwork. :)