Monday, June 19, 2006

i kill what i cannot catch

Crocheting: Small little secret keepers that button close. I also just finish a purse for my sister-in-law that is brown and pink, lined with pocket, and adorned with some cool vintage buttons. Small matching secret keeper is inside.

Movies:

The Strange Vice of Mrs. Wardh, 1971. This is considered a giallo. "Giallo" refers to the controversial series of savage Italian suspense thrillers that shocked international audiences in the 1960s and 1970s. Lots of sex, lots of blood.

I Dismember Mama, 1974. I have to admit that from the title, I expected this to be a fun, blood-splattered romp. It wasn't. It was D-A-R-K. It was sweaty, gritty, creepy, and about a rich pretty boy that hates women. Not much blood, but the deaths were horrifying. He also kidnaps a 12 year old girl and "marries" her because he deems her pure. Luckily, she gets away fully intact. Ew. Ew. Ew. I need a bath.

Isle of the Dead, 1945. Boris Karloff.

Three on a Meathook, 1972.

The Beast Within, 1982.

Beyond the Darkness, 1979.

Tombs of the Blind Dead, 1971.
Return of the Blind Dead, 1973.

Underworld Evolution, 2006. Most horror fans really poo-pooed this one. I liked it. It wasn't grand--just pretty straightforward.

The Prey, 1984.

The Zodiac Killer, 1971.

Xtro, 1983. This had the same lead actress as Macabre (which I loved). The love didn't transfer to this one...

Rawhead Rex, 1986. FUN!

Shriek of the Mutilated, 1974. Nice twist that I did not see coming.

Vent: The last 8 out of 10 of my netflix movies have arrived BROKEN. It's not netflix, it's our postal service. I have missed some good titles because of them. I've complained...we'll see if that does any good...

Reading:
The Unabridged Journals of Sylvia Plath
Ariel: The Restored Edition : A Facsimile of Plath's Manuscript, Reinstating Her Original Selection and Arrangement by Sylvia Plath
Rue Morgue #57
200 Crochet Blocks by Jan Eaton

Listening:
Monster's Ball Score
Extraordinary Machine-- Fiona Apple

Wanting to get into: Horror podcasts & NPR podcasts.

2 comments:

Wendy said...

Oh, I've neglected to tell you MY very favorite "horror" movie:
Boxing Helena. Man, that was one AWESOME flick!

Hayden Jackson said...

You stumpled across "Shriek of the Mutilated"? My wife rented that for me one night. Classic!